Monday, July 5, 2010
In an effort to save money on my food budget, we've jumped onto the "Meatless Monday" bandwagon! Tonight I made one of my favorites from the low-fat early 90's! I practically lived on beans and rice (which may explain why my first husband and I divorced) while I was a devout follower of Dr. Gabe Mirkin.
Here's the recipe I used...and yum, it makes me wish I didn't eat low carb 90% of the time! Oy!
* 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
* 1 onion, chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 3+ if you're already married)
* 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
* 1 1/2 cups low sodium, low fat vegetable broth
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 3 1/2 cups canned black beans, drained
1. In a stockpot over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 4 minutes. Add the rice and saute for 2 minutes.
2. Add the vegetable broth, bring to a boil, cover and lower the heat and cook for 20 minutes. Add the spices and black beans.
Posted by Team Chastain at 6:49 PM