Monday, February 14, 2011
Yummy without the carbs!
I love almonds! I love them raw most of all. I actually carry a small pouch of raw almonds in my purse all the time so I have a healthy and delish snack if I'm out and about and get the hungries. This way, I'm not tempted to grab something less than healthy for my picky body. I do best, health-wise, on a low intake of carbohydrates.
But what's a girl to do when she's wanting cookies? Everyone loves cookies, right? Every now and then we all probably crave a handful of cookies and a tall glass of (almond) milk.
So, here's one of my 'go-to' recipes that I whip up when it's cookie time.
Lower Carb Almond Cookies
• 2 cups almond flour
• Your choice of sweetened equal to 1 cup sugar (I use a blend of Truvia and EZ Sweetz)
• 1/2 cup softened butter
• 1 egg
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil, melted
• 1/2 teaspoon salt ***omit if using salted butter
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Preheat oven to 300°F
Using an electric mixer blend softened butter and sugar substitute until creamy, add in melted coconut oil and blend, then add in egg and blend. Add remaining ingredients and mix together with a wooden spoon.
Form dough into walnut sized balls and place onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake for 5 minutes, and then press down lightly with the back of a tablespoon, then continue to bake another 18 minutes.
Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing.
* Depending on cookie size, this makes between 12 - 18 cookies, and will have approximately 1 - 3 net carbs each.
Posted by Team Chastain at 8:59 AM