Wednesday, June 23, 2010
Chickpea Burgers! Yum!
CHICKPEA BURGERS (Makes about 4-6, depending on size)
* 2 cans of chickpeas, drained
* 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
* 2 tablespoons tahini
* 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
* 2 cloves minced garlic
* 1/2 teaspoon cumin
* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* Salt and pepper to taste
* 2 tablespoons flax meal
* 1 cup rolled oats
* 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1. Heat oil in cast iron skillet (or non-stick skillet.)
2. Put all ingredients except olive oil in a medium bowl and mix together.
3. Then transfer to a *food processor and pulse until incorporated, but still somewhat chunky (or not if you want a smoother texture.)
4. Shape into palm-sized patties.
5. Fry in extra virgin olive oil until golden on both sides and heated throughout.
* If you don't have a food processor, you can pulse the oats in a blender ahead of time, and mash the chickpeas with a potato masher a bit first, then mix everything together and mash to desired texture with potato masher.
Posted by Team Chastain at 3:43 PM