Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Heavenly Hash


I was running late tonight and drawing a complete blank on what to make for dinner. The digital temperature readout at the bank this afternoon said "102" degrees F. Yep...that's the south for ya. If it weren't for the ocean breeze I'd be packing up and heading north.

I normally wouldn't think of sweet potato on a sweltering June day, but they'd looked so good at the produce stand that I'd grabbed 2 ENORMOUS ones.
After all the "yumm's" and "mmmm's" I heard at dinner tonight, I was glad I did.

Here's what I did with them.

In a medium sized skillet, I cooked 6 pieces of bacon (you can use veggie, turkey, or real) chopped up into bits, until they were crispy.

Remove the bacon and set aside, if you did not use real bacon, you can add a little extra virgin olive oil now, then toss in your chopped sweet potatoes and about a half cup of chopped vidalia onion, 1 clove of finely minced garlic, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Fry it up, stirring every now and then, until the potatoes are soft and have a little bit of browning on them. When they're finished, stir the bacon bits back in, sprinkle with a little bit of fresh snipped chives or parsley (more for color than anything else) and serve.

This is filling, so I just served it with a light salad tossed with homemade vinaigrette.

No comments:

Post a Comment